Action linksSubmit your abstract for a poster! · A4 flyer · Full program
There were reported technical problems during registration on Friday, September 30. If you have not recieved confirmation email, please contact Sergey Alyaev (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible.
Due to the high cost of offshore operations in a harsh environment, the North Sea is in the top league in developing cutting-edge technologies for formation evaluation and geosteering. Many innovative solutions pioneered for the North Sea are now commercially available worldwide. Extensive research, technology development, and investments in innovation remain the key factors that provide more value for each well delivered in the region, keeping it competitive worldwide. With the increased focus on the green shift, the traditional hydrocarbon projects are joined by wells, which enable the energy industry in a broader sense. Motivated by the workshop's success in 2019, NFES and NORCE invite you again to the Oil Capital of Norway (Stavanger) to meet other geosteering experts and share the ideas that would drive the energy industry forward in the following decades.
Sponsor opportunities availableDownload the letter to potential sponsors
Due to the venue limitations the online registration is closed. If you have enquiries for full or one-day registration after October 19 please contact Sergey Alyaev email@example.com.
|Before October 1||Before October 19||Before October 25|
|Delegate||2800 NOK||4100 NOK||On request|
|Student||400 NOK||n/a||n/a||Sold out|
|One-day drop-in||n/a||n/a||2400 NOK||9 left|
One-day registration only gives access to the workshop program and lunch on the selected day. Full/student registration includes full access to the workshop, lunches, and the conference dinner on November 1. For NFES members in good standing and students the registration includes the membership fee for 2023.
Booking of the Sola Strand Hotel
We have set aside 50 rooms in the hosting hotel from October 31 to November 3. To get the special price of NOK 1380 per room, the participants need to contact the hotel by email firstname.lastname@example.org or on the phone +47 51943000. Please refer to booking number 42122 when you make your reservation. The reservations will be released soon after the early registration deadline, October 1.
To find more information about the hotel, visit the Sola Strand Hotel website.
The workshop will take place at a historical Sola Strand Hotel with panoramic views of the North Sea, the kitchen serves dishes with local flavors, and a spa where you can relax and discuss geosteering with new friends. The lunches and the dinner are included in the registration fee.
Abstracts are published on the NFES webpage.Separate program on the NFES webpage.
|17:00 - 19:00||Ice-breaker reception|
|08:00 - 08:45||Registration|
|08:45 - 09:00||Opening|
|09:00 - 10:10||GW||09:00: Pete Heavey (Aker BP): An operator’s perspective on the geosteering journey, and where next? (abstract)|
|09:35: David Selvåg Larsen (Vår Energi): Advanced geosteering workflows on the Norwegian Continental Shelf (abstract)|
|10:10 - 10:30||Break|
|10:30 - 11:45||FE UQ||10:30: Kristian Fossum (NORCE Norwegian Research Centre) et al.: Verification of a real-time method for updating the geosteering earth model based on GAN (abstract)|
|10:55: Pål Dahle (Norwegian Computing Center) et al.: Accurate reservoir description and well placement using distance data, zone logs and depth to fluid contact (abstract)|
|11:20: Muzammil Hussain Rammay (University of Stavanger) et al.: Real-time estimation of geological layers' profiles in an anisotropic environment while accounting for model-error: A case study on the Goliat field (abstract)|
|11:45 - 12:45||Lunch|
|12:45 - 13:45||DA opt||12:45: Kelli Randall (Chevron Technical Center): Data liberation driving efficiency and innovation in geosteering (abstract)|
|13:20: Yasaman Cheraghi (University of Stavanger) et al.: What can we learn after 10000 geosteering decisions? (abstract)|
|13:45 - 14:05||Break|
|14:05 - 15:20||GW||14:05: Emmanuel E. Uzuegbu (Schlumberger) et al.: Optimizing Real-Time GeoSteering and well placement by utilizing Two state-of-the-art drilling technologies on the Duva complex reservoir structure. (abstract)|
|14:30: Luis Chacin (Halliburton) et al.: Ultradeep Resistivity inversions integrated to near-wellbore azimuthal LWD measurements for the successful delivery of geosteering objectives, a case from the Norwegian Continental Shelf. (abstract)|
|14:55: Danil Nemuschenko (ROGII) et al.: Enhanced geosteering workflows using vendor-independent stochastic resistivity inversion module. (abstract)|
|15:20 - 15:35||End of technical program|
|15:35 - 17:30||Geosteering Cup (sponsored)|
|17:30 - 17:35||End of day 1|
|19:00 - 22:00||Dinner|
|08:00 - 08:30||Registraion|
|08:30 - 09:30||EM+||08:30: David Pardo (University of the Basque Country): Machine learning for modeling and interpreting geophysical borehole measurements (abstract)|
|09:05: Frank Antonsen (Equinor ASA) et al.: Standardization of LWD Deep Azimuthal Resistivity (SDAR) Workgroup Update (abstract)|
|09:30 - 09:50||Break|
|09:50 - 10:40||FE UQ||09:50: Alina Shashel (University of Stavanger) et al.: Uncertainty analysis of Supervised ML predictions applied to lithology classification in Geosteering (abstract)|
|10:15: Carl Fredrik Gyllenhammar (CaMa GeoScience AS): Calculating volume of clay to be used in seismic inversion (abstract)|
|10:40 - 11:00||Break|
|11:00 - 12:00||Posters / Exhibition||Sergey Alyaev (NORCE Norwegian Research Centre): Gamification of shallow geosteering (abstract)|
|Carl Fredrik Gyllenhammar (CaMa GeoScience AS): Calculating volume of clay to be used in seismic inversion (abstract)|
|Alina Shashel (University of Stavanger) et al.: Uncertainty analysis of Supervised ML predictions applied to lithology classification in Geosteering (abstract)|
|Adrian Ambrus (NORCE Norwegian Research Centre) et al.: AI-based multi-modal interpretation of logs for ahead-of-bit probabilistic ROP prediction (abstract)|
|Durra Handri Saputera (University of Bergen) et al.: GPU-accelerated integral equation method for 3D modelling of induction logs (abstract)|
|: (Waiting for confirmation)|
|12:00 - 13:00||Lunch|
|13:00 - 13:15||Kahoot!|
|13:15 - 14:15||GW||13:15: Miklos Antics (GPC IP / GEOFLUID): Geosteering geothermal wells (abstract)|
|13:50: Egil Romsås Fjeldberg (Aker BP) et al.: Innovative methods to integrate advanced LWD data set into the field development operations: Experiences and lessons learned from the Ivar Aasen field (abstract)|
|14:15 - 14:35||Break|
|14:35 - 15:50||EM+||14:35: Vladimir Druskin (Worcester Polytechnic Institute) et al.: Status of (sub-) joint industry project on rapid inversion of deep-sensing EM borehole measurements (abstract)|
|15:00: Nazanin Jahani (NORCE Norwegian Research Centre) et al.: Limits of detectability and resolution of deep-sensing borehole electromagnetic measurements from numerical modeling. (abstract)|
|15:25: Rosamary Ameneiro Paredes (Halliburton ) et al.: Mapping Complex Geological Surface Morphology During Landing Operations Using 3-D Inversion of Ultra-Deep Electromagnetic LWD Data (abstract)|
|15:50 - 16:05||Evaluation|
|16:05 - 16:20||Closing|
- GW Geosteering workflows and their applications: pre-job, real-time, post-job (Session chairs: David Holbrough, Alexandra Zaputlyaeva)
- DA opt Optimization and decision-making in geosteering (Session chairs: Supriya Sinha, Sergey Alyaev)
- FE UQ Advanced formation evaluation for reduction of subsurface uncertainty (Session chairs: Maurizio Mele, Nils Andre Aarseth)
- EM+ Resistivity inversion 1,2,3D and data fusion/integration (Session chairs: Jean-Michel Denichou, Frank Antonsen)
- GT+ Applications of geosteering in geothermal and civil wells
- Posters Posters session (Session chairs: Igor Kuvaev, Dler Mirza)
- Pete Heavey (Senior Advisor - New Well Delivery, Aker BP) "An operator’s perspective on the geosteering journey, and where next?"
- David Selvåg Larsen (Reservoir Geoscience Advisor, Vår Energi, Norway) "Advanced geosteering workflows on the Norwegian Continental Shelf."
- Kelli Randall (Global Geosteering Subject Matter Expert, Chevron Technical Center, USA) "Data liberation driving efficiency and innovation in geosteering."
- David Pardo (Research Professor, University of the Basque Country, Spain) "Machine learning for modeling and interpreting geophysical borehole measurements."
- Miklos Antics (Managing Director, GPC IP / GEOFLUID, France) "Geosteering geothermal wells."
NFES (SPWLA) guidelines for oral presentations can be downloaded here.
The presentation template should be neutral, with commercial logos limited to the title and the final slides. An optional conference powerpoint template can be downloaded here.
- Online Geosteering Competition (sponsored)
- Kahoot! quiz
- Extended to September 7. Deadline for abstracts to be considered for plenary sessions (150-500 words)
- September 21. The final program is published, and acceptance notification
- October 1. Early registration closes. Guaranteed rooms in the hotel are released.
- October 19. Online registration closes. If you want to register after this date, email the organizers.
- November 1-2. Workshop dates.
- Sergey Alyaev (Senior Research Scientist, NORCE; VP Academia, NFES) email@example.com
- Alexandra Zaputlyaeva (Business Development Manager, ROGII Inc) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dler Mirza (Lead Petrophysicist, Aker BP; VP Member, NFES) email@example.com
- Frank Antonsen (Specialist petrophysics, Equinor)
- Nigel Clegg (Geosteering Team Leader, Halliburton)
- Jean Michel Denichou (Well Construction Measurement, Schlumberger)
- Igor Kuvaev (CTO, ROGII Inc.)
- David Holbrough (Global Discipline Lead – Well Construction, Baker Hughes)
- Nils Andre Aarseth (Chief Petrophysicist, Aker BP)
- Maurizio Mele (Production Geology and Petrophysics Knowledge Owner, Eni S.p.A.)